The sanctuary was created in 2013 in honor of Catherine Violet Hubbard, a six-year-old killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14, 2012. Created by Catherine’s parents, Jenny and Matt Hubbard, the sanctuary is in Newtown, Connecticut on 34 acres of farmland donated by the state of Connecticut.
The goal of the sanctuary is to provide “a place of compassion and acceptance where all creatures will know they are safe and people are kind, just as Catherine would have wanted.”
Jenny Hubbard shares:
The songs and voices contributing to this album are the backdrop to some of my most cherished memories with Catherine, have soothed my heart after her death, and are now one of the most poignant gifts the sanctuary has received. I am humbled by the continued generosity and graciousness of Joe Poletto and women artists contributing to this album. The sharing of voices and art inspires and serve as a reminder of a truth Catherine lived: humans truly are kind.
Blue Rose is offering an album of songs contributed by Bonnie Raitt, Brandi Carlile, Grace Potter, Madison Cunningham, The Chicks, Indigo Girls, Eliza Gilkyson, Mary Gauthier, Lori McKenna, Mary Chapin Carpenter and Dead Horses. The album was curated by Joe Poletto working with Dave Schools, a founding member of Widespread Panic.
There will be a limited edition pressing of 1000 records available Fall 2023 at bluerosemusic.com, with 100% of sales going to benefit the sanctuary.
1. “The Mother” – Brandi Carlile
2. “Humble & Kind” – Lori McKenna
3. “God Only Knows” – Bonnie Raitt
4. “Mercy Now” – Mary Gauthier
5. “In My Life” – Madison Cunningham
6. “Stars” – Grace Potter and The Nocturnals
1. “Stones In the Road” – Mary Chapin Carpenter
2. “Mighty Storm” – Dead Horses
3. “The Wood Song” – Indigo Girls
4. “Godspeed (Sweet Dreams)” – The Chicks
5. “Sanctuary” – Eliza Gilkyson